Trees are the largest plants in Terraria, appearing mostly at the surface and often in clusters with similar height. Trees can be chopped down with an axe or chainsaw, destroyed with the use of explosives, or by pouring lava on their bases. Destroying or chopping down a tree will yield many units of its respective wood, an essential crafting material, and has a chance of dropping one or more Acorns that can be planted to grow more trees. Larger trees will yield more of these two items when removed; one unit of wood will drop for each block of tree (including branches), and one Acorn may drop for each leaf patch.
It is possible to cut off parts of the tree, but cutting at the lowermost center tile will destroy the entire tree. If parts of the tree are left, they will not regrow. Tiles beneath trees cannot be destroyed or actuated.
Tree saplings can be painted, although this won't affect the tree at all. However, painting the blocks underneath the sapling will result in the tree being painted when it "grows up".
Two additional tree variants were introduced in Journey's End: yellow willow trees and pink sakura trees. Despite their different appearance, they behave identically as other forest trees. The Zoologist sells Yellow Willow Saplings and Sakura Saplings.
They have a
5*1/20 (5%) chance to replace a forest tree during world generation.
Surface jungle trees grow on Jungle grass, in two ways: Acorns can be planted as with most other trees, but jungle trees can also "self-spawn", like Cacti and Giant Glowing Mushrooms. Either way, the prospective tree needs the usual horizontal space, and a 24 blocks headroom to grow. This makes self-spawning fairly rare, because the larger jungle plants tend to appear first and block tree growth. Worldgen and self-spawning can create jungle trees under water, but acorns cannot be planted under water. However, Underground jungle trees can only grow during the world generation.
Palm Trees are found in the Ocean biome and Oasis mini biome, and can be planted on any regular Sand Block in any biome, though they require 30 blocks of open space above them to grow. They drop Palm Wood, and on 电脑版、 主机版、和 移动版 acorns as well. There are also Corrupt, Crimson and Hallow variants, which drop Ebonwood, Shadewood, or Pearlwood respectively, rather than Palm Wood. Unlike other trees, Palm Trees require only one block of sand, and only one space is needed between the sapling and another object for the tree to grow. Palm trees usually drop only a single acorn with their wood. Planting an acorn in the Desert will yield a Palm Tree, not a Cactus.
- 在地表（0 深度以上）的巨型蘑菇的形态更宽、经常有分支。它们在砍倒时会掉落发光蘑菇而非木材。在地表上，它们很少掉落橡果或蘑菇草种子。
Gem trees naturally generate in the Cavern layer, and can also be grown by planting a Gemcorn on stone blocks in the Underground, Cavern, or Underworld layers. There are seven types corresponding to the seven types of gems.
Gem saplings will grow at the rate of a normal tree sapling. The tree will drop 0-5 Gems of its type, 0-5 Gemcorns of its type, and 0-20 stone blocks when cut with an Axe. The type of tree is determined by the type of Gemcorn that is planted. Gemcorns can also be crafted from a gem and an acorn.
Gem trees can be used effectively for farming gems in the early game, allowing earlier, albeit slow, acquisition of a gem staff, robe, and/or hook, making them especially useful for early game magic players.
Providing sunlight for Gem Trees is needless, they grow at the same rate with torches above them as they do without. However, since they must be grown in the Underground or Cavern layers, where there is not natural light, it may be beneficial to place torches anyways so that you can see them.
Trees are background objects that do not affect player or enemy movement. Therefore, they cannot be climbed or scaled with items such as a grappling hook (except for the 松鼠爪钩), or have blocks of dirt or other walk-on surfaces be placed to overlap their limbs. However, blocks and platforms can be placed in front of the leaves at the top of the tree (or the caps of Giant Glowing Mushrooms) and furniture can be placed there, although it will be obscured by the leaves. Objects that give off light (e.g. campfires, torches, etc.) will also be obscured by the leaves, but will still emit light as normal. It can sometimes be necessary to chop down a tree that is next to a cavern entrance or cliff in the early game in order to replace it with a ladder of blocks that will allow scaling of the steep surface; this becomes unnecessary when the player obtains a grappling hook, Climbing Claws or other items that allow improved jumping or flying. In some versions, 移动版 excluded, it is possible to attach platforms to the trunk of a tree, except palm trees.
Trees must be removed when building houses, as they may obstruct building it.
Planting an Acorn on certain blocks will create a Sapling that can eventually grow into a tree. An Acorn can only be planted on pure, Corrupt, Crimson, Hallowed, or Jungle grass, Snow, or Sand. (Not Mushroom grass, but see below). The tree will be of a type according to the block it was planted on, with random size and shape appropriate to its type. Saplings can be destroyed with a pickaxe or drill, but will not drop the Acorn item they were planted from. Saplings can only grow under the following conditions:
- The acorn requires one horizontal space of appropriate open ground on either side of its base, where it may put a stump
- The Sapling also requires at least two unobstructed (empty) tiles to the left and right to put branches, forming a 5-unit wide column. The ground to either side need not be the same grass/snow/sand block type as the Sapling's. The tree will not grow if it is not on grass/snow/sand blocks.
- There must be at least three open tiles between two Saplings or only one will grow into a tree. This matches the previous rules, i.e. each acorn needs both adjacent tiles free, which means the closest two trees can be is with three tiles between them.
- Small grass and tiny flower plants will not block a Sapling's growth, but almost anything that takes a pickaxe or drill to remove will do so: torches, platforms, Sunflowers, etc. cannot be within a 2-block radius. Dye plants, Mushrooms, Jungle plants or trees, cacti, etc. can also self-spawn next to a Sapling and prevent its growth, but once the blocking item is harvested, the Sapling can grow normally.
- Most Saplings require at least 16 tiles of vertical clearance (32 feet by a Depth Meter) to grow into a tree, including the tile the Sapling occupies. Jungle trees require 24 tiles, and palm trees require 30 tiles. Most trees requiring 9-20 tiles and jungle trees requiring 14-25 (if not provided the maximum amount of space, trees will still grow, but they may take longer to do so). In all versions, even when there is sufficient space, a tree's leaves may sometimes be big enough to clip through the roof.
- Most Saplings will grow indoors as long as there is either fence or no wall immediately behind the Sapling; unlike other Saplings, palm trees will not grow if there is fence behind the Sapling. All other walls are ignored.
- A Sapling needs to be above surface level. Acorns planted on grass underground or below will not grow, even if all other conditions are met.
- On the 前代主机版和 , Saplings must be off-screen in order to become trees. They will not grow when currently in view, unlike most other plants which can grow while being watched. (On the 版 电脑版、 主机版、和 移动版, trees can grow on-screen, appearing with a small shower of leaves. They also update the map data automatically, so it is possible to spot tree growth on the minimap or full screen map without needing to approach the sapling on these versions.)
Note that world generation can place trees in places where these conditions are not met, e.g. atop a single block of soil.
Giant Glowing Mushrooms have similar space requirements to trees, but they cannot be planted; instead, they will "self-spawn", randomly appearing full-grown on Mushroom grass. Cacti need much less space, but can likewise self-spawn on any sand variant. "Infected" sand will spawn cacti which appear different according to sand type, but are otherwise identical. Jungle trees can also similarly self-spawn on Jungle grass (if there is space), but can also be planted with Acorns.
Shaking occurs when a player hits the trunk or branches of a tree with an axe or chainsaw, but does not fully cut it down. In order for a tree to be shaken, it must both have a "leafy" top as well as not have any blocks in a two block radius from the top. In addition to this, players can shake a maximum of 200 trees a day. Once this limit is exceeded, shaking will not occur until the following dawn.
Shaking a tree has a chance to drop an item or object, or spawn an enemy or critter. The rates may differ per tree type and under certain circumstances, which is visualized in the table below. The icons in front of some of the chances denote the following conditions:
Chances without an icon apply if none of the respective conditions are met, where applicable.
- Lava will instantly destroy trees, except for Gem Trees.
- If planted on a stone block painted with Shadow Paint, the fully-grown Gem Tree will appear shadowed.
- 电脑版 188.8.131.52：
- 电脑版 184.108.40.206：Fixed a bug where Hallow Trees on mowed Hallow grass would drop normal Wood rather than Pearlwood.
- 电脑版 220.127.116.11：
- Gem Trees added.
- Various normal tree top sprites added.
- Normal tree top sprites updated.
- Added the tree shaking mechanic.
- 电脑版 1.3.2：现在树即使在玩家的屏幕上可见时也会长大，伴随着出现一小波树叶。
- 电脑版 18.104.22.168：
- 电脑版 1.2.4：
- 电脑版 1.2.3：
- 替换了树 9 的图像。
- 电脑版 1.2：
- 电脑版 1.1.1：引入了针叶树。
- 电脑版 1.1：
- 树现在可能会长得高出 1 格（丛林树例外，它可能长得额外高出 5 格）。
- 橡实树苗的生长要求树苗之间有 2 格空间，而不再是 3 格。
- 电脑版 1.0.5：腐化树和丛林树不再掉落橡果。
- 电脑版 1.0.4：添加了丛林树。
- 电脑版 1.0.3：Trees now become corrupted when the Corruption reaches them instead of being destroyed. Corrupted trees become uncorrupted upon purification.
- 主机版 1.0.933.1：与 PS4 的 1.0.750.0 更新相一致的更改。（）
- 主机版 1.0.750.0：（）
- 主机版 1.07：
- 主机版 1.06：
- 替换了树 9 的图像。
- 主机版 1.02：
- 主机正式版：引入，伴随着电脑版 1.1.1 的相应机制和变种同时引入。
- Switch版 1.0.1096.2：Trees now grow even when visible on a player's screen, and appear with small showers of leaves.
- 移动版 1.2.11212：
- 替换了树 9 的图像。
- 移动版 1.2.6508：
- 移动版 1.1.5536：
- 树现在可能会长得高出 1 格（丛林树例外，它可能长得额外高出 5 格）。
- 橡实树苗的生长要求树苗之间有 2 格空间，而不再是 3 格。
- 移动正式版：引入，伴随着电脑版 1.0.5 的相应机制和变种同时引入。
- 3DS正式版：引入，伴随着电脑版 1.2 的相应机制和变种同时引入。