On the 桌面版, some critter types have a golden variation that has a 1 in 150 (not tested) chance of spawning instead of a normal one. These gold critters sell for 10 each. Gold critters are rare creatures which are detected by the Lifeform Analyzer. Visual identification is helped by the sparkles they emit when alive in the world.
All naturally spawned Critters can be caught with the Bug Net or Golden Bug Net, and carried in the player's inventory (or placed in storage). If a 小动物 caught with any Bug Net is taken from inventory and "used" (placed), it is again released into the environment at the cursor and behaves as usual.
All caught Critters can be caged to create animated display furniture. Most Critters are caged in Terrariums, however Butterflies, Fireflies and Lightning Bugs are caged in Bottles, and Goldfish are caged in Bottled Water. Bottled Fireflies and Lightning Bugs also function as valid light sources.
Critters spawned from statues cannot be caught with the Bug Net; attempting to do so will cause the critter to disappear in a puff of smoke.
| Gold Bird
| Black Scorpion
| Blue Jay
|丛林||被动蠕虫||10||40% bait||487||Found by breaking background objects.|
| Gold Bunny
|Forest||Duck||7 50||N/A||364, 365|
| Enchanted Nightcrawler
|N/A||Passive Worm||20||35% bait||484||Crafted with a 蠕虫 and a 坠落之星. Does not spawn naturally|
|Forest - Night||Firefly||3||20% bait||355|
| Gold Frog
| Glowing Snail
|Mushroom Biome||Snail||50||15% bait||360|
|Water – Rain||Swimming||7 50||N/A||55, 230||Banner drops after every 50th kill. Walks on land during rain.|
|Forest||Slime||2 50||10% bait||377||Found by breaking tall grass.|
| Gold Grasshopper
|Forest||Slime||10||50% bait||446||Rare creature. Found by breaking tall grass.|
|Jungle||Passive Worm||2 50||15% bait||485||Found by breaking Jungle grass and bushes.|
| Lightning Bug
|The Hallow - Night||Firefly||5||35% bait||358|
| Mallard Duck
|Forest||Duck||7 50||N/A||362, 363|
|Underground||Passive||20||N/A||300||Cannot be harmed by enemies.|
| Gold Mouse
|Underground||Passive||10||N/A||447||Rare creature. Cannot be harmed by enemies.|
|Tundra||Passive||12 50||N/A||148, 149||Banner drops after every 50th kill.|
| Red Squirrel
|Jungle||Passive Worm||5||25% bait||486||Found by breaking background objects.|
| Gold Squirrel
| Truffle Worm
|Underground Mushroom Biome||Passive Worm||10||666% bait||374, 375||Only appears in Hardmode. Used to summon Duke Fishron. Can escape if the player gets too close. Rare creature detected by Lifeform Analyzer.|
|Surface – Rain||Passive Worm||5||25% bait||357||Can also be found by breaking background objects.|
| Gold Worm
|Surface – Rain||Passive Worm||10||50% bait||448||Rare creature. Can also be found by breaking background objects.|
|Butterfly||Environment||AI Type||Rarity||Sell||Power||NPC ID||Notes|
| Gold Butterfly
|Forest||Butterfly||10||50% bait||444||Rare creature.|
| Julia Butterfly
| Monarch Butterfly
| Purple Emperor Butterfly
| Red Admiral Butterfly
| Sulphur Butterfly
| Tree Nymph Butterfly
|Forest||Butterfly||1||50% bait||356||Extremely rare|
| Ulysses Butterfly
| Zebra Swallowtail Butterfly
- The spawn rates and spawn caps of Critters are affected by many of the same factors as those of hostile enemies, so Water Candles, Peace Candles, Battle Potions, Calming Potions and Sunflowers will affect Critter spawns.
- Critters caught with a Bug Net when the player has a full inventory will be dropped in the world as items rather than released.
- Critters regenerate health, this can be seen by hitting them with a low damage weapon/tool, like a Copper Axe or Pickaxe.
- Once a Critter is put inside a cage, bottle, or jar, that single Critter can no longer be released, and will stay in there forever. An alternative is to simply release the critter into an enclosed area, though the Critter can then despawn if a player travels too far away.
- During a Blood Moon, Bunnies, Goldfish, and Penguins will transform into hostile enemies: Corrupt Bunnies, Corrupt Goldfish and Corrupt Penguins in a Corruption world ( and Crimtane Bunnies, Crimtane Goldfish and Vicious Penguins in a Crimson world). Critters that have been placed in inventory, storage, or cages will not be affected. These same critters can be transformed manually into their corruption form by throwing Vile Powder at them, and their crimson form by throwing Vicious Powder. All Bunnies, Goldfish, and Penguins spawned from statues will transform into enemies if they are spawned during a Blood Moon. Once these critters have transformed into hostile enemies, they can no longer be caught with a Bug Net.
- Trying to release a Goldfish will cause the goldfish to be consumed.
- Birds place in a Terrarium peck in ascending order, the Blue Jay once, the Bird twice, the Cardinal three times and the Gold Bird four times.
- With several NPCs acquired, keeping Water Candles around your suitable housing will cause more Critters to spawn, without spawning enemies.
- To find exactly how much damage an enemy does, place a critter on the enemy. Critters have 0 defense and enemy damage to it will not vary unlike most situations of dealing damage. Projectiles from enemies will do varying and reduced damage to critters so it will not work for measuring projectile damage.
- 1.3.2: Walking Goldfish can no longer be captured in a Bug Net.
- Console 1.08: Added cages for Mallard Duck, Firefly, Lightning Bug, and Butterflies.
- Console 1.07 Holiday Update:
- Added: Duck and Mallard Duck, Firefly and Lightning Bug, Frog, Grasshopper, Scorpion and Black Scorpion, Snail and Glowing Snail, Worm and Truffle Worm, and Butterflies (Monarch, Sulphur, Zebra Swallowtail, Ulysses, Julia, Red Admiral, Purple Emperor, and Tree Nymph).
- Critters can now be caged (except for the Mallard Duck, Firefly, Lightning Bug, and Butterflies).
- All other critter content is in sync with Desktop 1.2.4.
- There are now critter sounds.
- Added Duck and Mallard Duck, Firefly and Lightning Bug, Frog, Snail and Glowing Snail, Scorpion and Black Scorpion, Worm, and 8 Butterflies (Monarch, Sulphur, Zebra Swallowtail, Ulysses, Julia, Red Admiral, Purple Emperor, and Tree Nymph).
- Can catch all critters with Bug Net.
- You can now place critters in cages.
- Goldfish no longer drop as items when killed.
- 1.2.1: Mice can no longer be killed by enemies and no longer spawn in the underworld.
- 126.96.36.199: Added new friendly critters: Blue Jay, Cardinal, Squirrel and Mouse.
- 1.2: Added the Penguin.
- 1.1: Added the Bird.
- 1.0.4: Introduced the Bunny and Goldfish.