The Difficulty mode is a character setting selected during character creation. There are 3 different options: Softcore, Mediumcore, and Hardcore. The difficulty mode of a character determines what happens upon their death. Once a character has been created, its difficulty cannot be changed.
There is also a choice between Normal and Expert mode when creating a new world. This is a separate setting that applies to the world, rather than the character, and similarly can't be changed once the world has begun generating.
Softcore is the default character mode, and the easiest.
Softcore characters drop half their coins on when killed by a boss or enemy (rounded up), which can be retrieved upon respawning, but may also be collected by other players in Multiplayer. Softcore characters respawn at their spawn point after death, following a short delay.
Characters in the 移动版 are automatically set to Softcore on creation.
In an Expert mode world, Softcore characters will drop 75% of their money, instead of the usual 50%. Enemies can also steal your coins and despawn, which can be a huge setback for the player.
Mediumcore characters drop all of their items upon death, including all coins and ammo. These can be retrieved upon respawning, but may also be collected by other players in Multiplayer, and by enemies in Expert Mode. Mediumcore characters still respawn at their spawn point after death, following a short delay.
Hardcore characters die permanently, and drop all of their items upon death, including coins and ammo, which other players can then collect in multiplayer.
Death causes a Hardcore character to become a Ghost that can continue to observe the world but not affect it. Ghosts can fly, pass through walls, and continue to chat with other multiplayer users, but cannot interact with the environment in any way and cannot open a map. Other players are not able to see Ghosts.
Once a dead Hardcore character quits the current world, that character is permanently deleted. Items the character placed in Chests will not be deleted, but items the character had in portable storage (Piggy Bank, Safe, Defender's Forge) will be deleted.
- Normal mode: This is the normal difficulty, as the name suggests.
- Expert mode: Intended for experienced players, Expert Mode worlds contain the same enemies, but with increased stats, and some have altered behavior patterns that make them more difficult to defeat. Loot drops are more frequent, however. As a special reward, bosses drop Treasure Bags which, in addition to the normal boss loot, also contain special items only available in Expert Mode. Expert Mode brings numerous other changes. See Expert Mode for a more complete list.
- Difficulty modes and world modes are unrelated to Hardmode, which is a change to the world that occurs after the Wall of Flesh has been defeated.
- In the 主机版, softcore mode is called "normal mode", and mediumcore is called "Difficult". Hardcore is still called hardcore.
- Difficulty cannot be changed in the 移动版 or the 3DS版. All players are automatically set to softcore.
- New players may want to use softcore mode characters until they become more familiar with the game.
- Mediumcore characters may want to keep their second-best equipment in a chest in case of death.
- Hardcore mode can be utilized to freely explore a map by dying and flying through the ground and sky as a Ghost.
- 126.96.36.199：The proper items will now drop on Mediumcore/Hardcore deaths.
- 188.8.131.52：Fixed bug where Hardcore characters couldn't open the menu after death.
- 184.108.40.206：Mediumcore characters now correctly drop ammo on death.
- 1.0.5：Hardcore mode introduced.
| 游戏机制 |
|战斗||攻击速度 • 自动挥舞 • 战斗瞄准 • 暴击 • 伤害 • 击退 • 仆从 • 射速|
|环境||环境物体 • 日夜更替 • 环境 • 事件 • 地图大小 • 月亮 • 音乐 • NPC 消失 • NPC 生成 • 状态讯息 • 风 • 世界 • 世界种子 • 液体|
|界面||小地图 • Logo • 标题讯息 • 小贴士 • 材质包|
|物品||消耗品 • 制作站(徒手) • 交叉内容 • 防爆物体 • 挖矿速度 • 修饰语 • NPC 掉落 • 放置 • 镐力 • 稀有度 • 收纳 • 工具提示 • 使用时间 • 价值|
|游戏||成就 • 设置（电脑版） • Config.json • 相机模式 • 数据 ID • 难易度 • 专家模式 • 游戏控制 • 游戏平台 • 照明模式 • NPC 名字|
|多人模式||聊天 • 多人模式|
|玩家||仇恨 • 呼吸条 • 增益和减益 • 人物 • 人物风格 • 死亡 • 防御 • 溺水 • 掉落伤害 • 鬼魂 • 发型 • 生命 • 生命再生 • 物品栏 • 魔力 • 玩家属性点 • 出生点|