- 内部图格 ID：275-281, 285-286, 296-299, 309-310, 339, 391-394, 413
Cages are placeable decorative furniture items that display Critters. A Critter caught with the Bug Net is combined with the Terrarium to craft a Cage. Cages resemble aquariums with animated Critters inside.
Cages exist as background furniture, and nothing can be placed on them, nor can they be placed on top of each other. All Cages measure either 6 tiles wide by 3 high, or 3 tiles wide by 2 high, and are partially transparent. Cages cannot be opened, broken, or un-crafted, so once a Critter is crafted into a Cage, that particular Critter can no longer be released.
- Gold animals inside terrariums sell for the same price as without one, so it may be desirable to sell the animal without a terrarium.
- Some animals that have a sell price have no value when placed in a terrarium.
- Instead of the Terrarium, Butterflies, Fireflies, and Lightning Bugs must be combined with a Bottle to create bottled variants. Bottled Water can be combined with Goldfish to make a Fishbowl, or with fished jellyfish to make Jellyfish Jars. Light-providing insects in bottles can be used as valid light sources for housing.
- On the map, when hovered over with the mouse, the Red Squirrel Cage displays the text "Orange Squirrel Cage".
- The Penguin's sprite in the Penguin Cage resembles the Baby penguin, rather than the Penguin used to craft it. This may be due to resolution constraints making it difficult to draw a proper Penguin inside the cage's borders.
- The game's name, Terraria, is the plural form of the word terrarium.
- 主机版 1.08：Added the Mallard Duck Cage.
- 主机版 1.07 节日更新：Introduced the Terrarium and caged critters (Bird, Black Scorpion, Blue Jay, Bunny, Cardinal, Frog, Glowing Snail, Grasshopper, Mouse, Penguin, Scorpion, Snail, Squirrel, and Worm).
- 126.96.36.199：Added more critter cages and golden variants.
- 188.8.131.52：Fixed non-animating critter cages.