These Mimics are rarer, and much more powerful in every way, than the normal Mimics (they are even more deadly than any pre-Hardmode boss, with the possible exception of the Wall of Flesh). They only spawn in the vicinity of the underground version of their corresponding biome.
Each type has its own set of unique drops, including powerful early Hardmode weapons and tools. Like ordinary Mimics, they only spawn in Hardmode worlds. The Jungle variant is currently unimplemented, and never spawns during normal gameplay.
Similar to ordinary Mimics, these special variants disguise themselves as "chests" until approached or attacked, but they do not resemble any chest type currently in the game, and are significantly larger than ordinary chests.
Hallowed, Corrupt, and Crimson Mimics can also be summoned manually by the player, in Hardmode worlds only, by placing a Key of Light or a Key of Night inside an otherwise empty chest; the chest becomes a Mimic once it is closed. Closing a chest by right clicking a different chest will not spawn a mimic. Only manually closing the intended chest will make it change. The natural evil biome of the current world determines whether a Corrupt or a Crimson Mimic is summoned via the Key of Night.
All four special Mimics have the same attack patterns:
- It periodically shuts itself and remains stationary, during which it becomes invincible to attacks. In Expert Mode, it will reflect projectiles fired at them, which can damage the player firing.
- It performs a "pound" attack, whereby it leaps into the air above the player and swiftly drops down (similar to Giant Tortoise attacks). During this attack, the Mimic can travel through blocks (unlike Giant Tortoises).
- 如果玩家试图逃离，宝箱怪会在玩家后面高速猛冲（略高于 51 mph）。在使用此攻击时它们能穿透物块移动。
- Mimics are easier to spot in already explored areas, wherein a player could notice a chest that was not present when they previously explored that area.
- On the 前代主机版 or 移动版, Mimics can be identified by their lack of yellow border (normally around chests) upon getting near them. A Mimic will also appear as a red dot on the map, as all enemies do on the 前代主机版.
- Any Gold Chest found outside of Underground Cabins in maps generated between versions 1.3 and 1.4 is a Mimic. Between these two updates, Gold Chests did not naturally spawn outside of Underground Cabins anymore. However, on rare occasions, a Gold Chest may spawn below, beside, or above a Cabin due to structural generation errors.
- 从 1.3.4 开始，可以通过用仆从召唤物品直接在敌怪身上按⚷ 打开/激活来让仆从瞄准敌怪。如果它是个宝箱怪，会出现一个紫色的指示器。
- A Mimic will always drop exactly one of the items from its loot table (excluding the Mimic Banner and the potions/ 前代主机版Blessed Apple for Biome Mimics).
- Biome Mimics do not count towards and are unaffected by the Mimic Banner. They have no banner themselves.
- Targeting Mimics can help players making their way through early Hardmode, as they drop high-damage weapons and good defensive accessories, as well as around
100000*10 ( 250000*25), which can help with Hardmode's higher prices.
- Ordinary (gold) mimics seem to appear much more often in open spaces in jungle.
- During February, all enemies have hearts floating on them. This makes the difference between mimics and chests blatantly obvious.
- 如果有 3 或更多名玩家，宝箱怪就永远不会停留在伪装状态。
- The Underground Jungle is a good place to farm mimics, due to the increased spawns.
- Biome Mimics, despite being significantly tougher, drop less money than the normal variants (only
30000*3 / 75000*750). However, their item drops tend to be far more useful and valuable. Besides advanced weapons and tools, they drop Greater Healing and Greater Mana Potions, which are handy in early Hardmode, before the player can craft their own.
- Biome Mimics are very difficult to fight in a cramped area with limited mobility. Their attacks are very fast, allowing them to easily catch even players with early-Hardmode Wings, and they can phase through tiles, meaning that players fighting them in close quarters in an area with limited space are at an extreme disadvantage, even well into Hardmode (especially in Expert or Master Mode). Players in early-Hardmode should seriously consider only attempting to fight Biome Mimics in open areas such as larger caves with abundant room to maneuver.
- 在困难模式早期，生物群落宝箱怪能被轻松打败，只要在平坦地面上，并骑上蛇蜥怪坐骑 来帮助玩家获得额外的速度来躲闪攻击，同时有倾斜的水平物块朝左或朝右上升，这会给玩家一些时间来前往另一侧恢复生命或魔力，也有助于来回躲闪宝箱怪的跳跃攻击、无敌/偏转状态和捣碎攻击。
- In Expert Mode, firing at a Biome Mimic with a high damage, single hit weapon such as the Sniper Rifle should be avoided. The reflected projectile from said weapon can easily kill the player if the Mimic is closed, especially when unprepared.
- A decent way to kill them, if you have a Hellevator, is to spawn them in The Underworld, and use rope to climb up the hellevator, shooting them with a weapon such as the Shadowflame Knife. Assuming you're on a medium world, and using said weapon, the biome mimic should be almost, if not dead by the time you reach the top. A long stretch of Minecart Track can achieve the same effect.
- A good way to dodge Biome Mimic's attacks are to use Wings. A good early Hardmode set of Wings are the Leaf Wings, they are obtainable by buying it from the Witch Doctor for
750000*75 / 1000000*1 at night.
- If 沙丘行者靴 are used with a long platform made of sand, hardened sand, or sandstone, it is possible to outrun the Biome Mimic's charge attack. this will force them to constantly charge in a straight line while the player can shoot them.
- To spawn a Corrupt/Crimson Mimic in a world of the opposite evil, it is possible to buy seeds of the opposite evil from the Dryad while she is in a 墓地 in Hardmode. These can then either be used with grass to spread the evil, or it can be made into Thrown Water.
- 宝箱怪最早在 1977 年出现于《高级龙与地下城 怪物手册》中，这是奇幻角色扮演桌游《龙与地下城》中怪物的主要图鉴手册，之后出现在无数的出版物中。
- Despite Mimics having a rarity of 4 on the Lifeform Analyzer, they are one of the more commonly found "rare" enemies, when compared to the other rarity 4 enemy, Tim.
- Biome Mimics are the one of the three non-boss enemies which are manually spawnable (excluding enemies spawnable with using statues). The others are wraiths which can be manually summoned by breaking an altar, and ghosts which can be spawned by destroying Tombstones.
- Despite their name, Biome Mimics do not actually resemble the Biome Chests found in the Dungeon. In fact, they do not completely resemble any actual chest in the entire game making them easy to identify.
- Putting a Key of Light or Key of Night in a chest, and then selecting another chest will not summon the corresponding mimic, while keeping the key in the chest.
- Although not spawning through regular gameplay, Jungle Mimics are still detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
- Regular, non-biome Mimics drop the most coins out of any non-boss mob in the game, and even more than most Pre-Hardmode bosses.
- In the 电脑版, Mimics don't spawn in the surface, likely due to a bug.
- 宝箱怪：“Talking to a chest doesn't cause craziness, but if the chest answers back, it may cause death! It still contains rare treasure, regardless!”
- 礼物宝箱怪：“Surprise! The most unexpected gift this holiday season, the Present Mimic is a nicely gift-wrapped box of teeth and death.”
- 腐化宝箱怪：“Mimics which fall to Corruption grow larger and more powerful as a result. They can be birthed from ordinary chests by force.”
- 猩红宝箱怪：“Mimics which are enthralled by the Crimson are empowered dramatically. They can be birthed from ordinary chests by force.”
- 电脑版 18.104.22.168：Fixed a bug where Corrupt, Crimson, and Hallow Mimics left behind phantom ghost chest tiles.
- 电脑版 22.214.171.124：
- Ice Mimic now has its own ID.
- Ice Mimic can now be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
- 电脑版 1.3.5：常规/冰雪宝箱怪的外观更新。
- 电脑版 1.2：引入冰雪种类以及相应的掉落。
- 电脑版 1.1：引入。
- 主机版 1.0.933.1：与 PS4 的 1.0.750.0 更新相一致的更改。（）
- 主机版 1.0.750.0：（）
- 主机版 1.02：引入冰雪种类以及相应的掉落。
- Switch版 1.0.711.6：随电脑版 126.96.36.199 的更改引入。
- 移动版 1.2.6508：引入冰雪种类以及相应的掉落。
- 移动版 1.1.5536：引入。