- 建筑墙壁 是由玩家或某些自然生成的建筑物产生的。它们可以防止敌怪的生成，但是不会采取任何措施来阻止它们通过。尽管如此，不过放置建筑墙壁（大部分完整）对于建造一所可使NPC入住的房屋或是放置一个床来设置一个玩家的出生点是必要的。
- 自然墙壁 are instead found throughout the world in several Biomes, and cannot be placed by players. Natural walls will not stop enemies from spawning, and cannot be utilized for Houses. These walls must be removed by starting from their edge (i.e., there must be at least one adjacent tile with no wall), unlike housing walls, which can be removed from any point. Explosives can remove all natural walls within their blast radius as long as an edge is somewhere within the radius.
Walls can be found naturally in several Biomes. Naturally occurring walls will not stop enemies from spawning, and cannot be utilized for Houses. They must be torn down and placed manually in order for a House to occupy the space. All naturally occurring walls must be removed by starting from their edge (i.e., there must be at least one adjacent tile with no wall), unlike player-placed walls, which can be removed from any point. Explosives can remove all natural walls within their blast radius as long as an edge is somewhere within the radius.
Walls are generally obtained via crafting, purchasing from NPCs, or by harvesting naturally-occurring walls. One item of crafting material generally crafts four of its corresponding Wall items. As of version 1.2, four of the same wall item can also be crafted back into one of the items it was made from.
- Dirt Walls generally completely cover the background at Underground depths above zero (see Layer, Depth Meter). Placing new walls in this area would require first tearing down the existing walls starting from the top (the Surface) or the bottom (zero depth), which can be an arduous task. Alternatively, the existing walls can be destroyed using Dynamite.
- At depths below zero, the backdrop of the map is generally no longer covered with actual wall tiles, though this can be difficult to differentiate visually since the background image at these depths can have a similar appearance. Walls can be placed freely here by players.
- Torches and several other furniture items can be placed directly on background walls without requiring blocks below them.
- Walls have no coin value, (excluding wallpaper bought from the Painter) even if they were crafted from rare materials.
These walls are made by the player using various crafting materials.
These walls are mainly created when the Corruption, Crimson, or Hallow naturally spreads to them, but they can also be made by using the respective Solution with the Clentaminator. When destroyed, these walls do not drop anything. This technically makes them unobtainable.
These walls are spawned when the world is created but are unable to be created, obtained, looted, purchased, or used by the player in any way*. They can be destroyed, but drop nothing (with one exception).
*Unobtainable walls can be utilized with third-party map editors such as TEdit.
- 1.3.1: Most wall inventory sprites are updated.
- Living leaf walls are valid for housing
- 126.96.36.199: Fixed walls not framing properly in camera mode snapshots.
- Bug fixed: The Blue Slab Wall is now valid for housing if placed by a player.
- Added Honeyfall, Granite, Smooth Granite, Marble, Smooth Marble, Chlorophyte Brick, Shroomite Plating, Martian Conduit, Luminite Brick, Meteorite Brick, and Crimtane Brick walls.
- Many naturally generated walls have a new appearance.
- Now you can place walls in front of each other.
- Adding walls made from Gemspark Blocks, Palm Wood, Boreal Wood, 1.2.3-Heavy Workbench-products, and Glass+Confetti.
- The Pirate now sells the Sail.
- Two natural cave walls (7 and 8) have been added. Gemstone Cave- and Moss Cave-walls have received an overhaul.
- The Metal Fence has been split into Lead and Iron variants.
- The Lavafall Wall and Waterfall Wall are now crafted like most other walls.
- Painted walls show up properly on the map.
- 1.2.3: Adding Dynasty Walls, Lavafall Wall, Waterfall Wall, even more Wallpaper, and the Portable Cement Mixer for even heftier wall placing.
- 1.2.1: Fixed an issue causing walls to not have different frames. Pumpkin Wall, Hay Wall, and Spooky Wood Wall added.
- Lihzahrd Wall added.
- You can now craft living wood walls.
- Snow particles will no longer spawn on backwalls.
- 1.1: Added Glass Wall, Planked Wall, Mythril Brick Wall, Cobalt Brick Wall, Mudstone Brick Wall, Iridescent Brick Wall and Pearlstone Brick Wall.
- 188.8.131.52: Walls that are automatically placed to fill small gaps are now correctly taken from the player’s Inventory.
- 1.0.6: When placing background walls, one-block holes are now automatically filled in.