A Solar Eclipse is a Hardmode event that occurs rarely after at least one mechanical boss has been defeated. A Solar Eclipse has a 1/20 (5%) chance of occurring upon any particular dawn. On the 电脑版、 主机版、和 移动版, it is also possible to summon a Solar Eclipse using a Solar Tablet (only legitimately obtainable after defeating Plantera, but can occasionally be obtained prior to that).
During a Solar Eclipse, unique and difficult enemies spawn at very high rates, even near NPCs. The event lasts for one entire day, from sunrise to sunset, regardless of the number of enemies that have been killed. The moon is visible in front of the sun, causing the ambient light level to drop to below-nighttime levels.
- 每个清晨都有 5% 几率发生日食，哪怕前一天刚刚发生过一次。多个日食有可能连续发生。同样有可能在日食之后紧跟着血月，反之亦然。
- It is possible for boss fights or other events to occur at the same time as a Solar Eclipse, such as a Goblin Invasion or a Pirate Invasion. Prior to 18.104.22.168, these events may also cancel Solar Eclipse enemy spawns.
- Unlike a Blood Moon, a Solar Eclipse only allows its exclusive enemies to spawn on the surface, except for in Corruption, Crimson, and Ocean areas.
- A Solar Eclipse also increases the spawn rate of Truffle Worms, since they are internally considered enemies.
- Solar Tablet Fragments, which are used to create the event-summoning Solar Tablet, can be acquired before gaining access to the Jungle Temple by defeating the Lihzahrds that spawn outside the Jungle Temple, who will drop the Solar Tablet Fragments.
- Fetid Baghnakhs are a great weapon in surviving Solar Eclipses because of the fast speed and high damage.
- The KO Cannon is very effective against the pre-mechanical boss Solar Eclipse.
- On the , a Solar Eclipse can be escaped by moving to a 版Floating Island. The enemies spawning there naturally (Harpies and Wyverns) will still pose a threat, however.
- As there are very high enemy spawn rates, it is a good idea to use a Minishark (low damage for more coins) with Golden Bullets to farm for money. A Lucky Coin can maximize the outcome.
- Because the event can happen anywhere on the surface and lasts from dawn to dusk, placing banners is crucial to avoid being chain killed in higher difficulty levels.
- 在日食期间生成的每个敌怪（除了死神和眼怪）都使用了来自经典的 20 世纪恐怖电影的主题（具体的电影出处请看右图和各个敌怪各自的页面。）
- The type of Solar Eclipse displayed is an annular solar eclipse.
- An annular eclipse occurs when the sun and moon are exactly in line with the earth, but the apparent size of the moon is smaller than that of the sun. Hence the sun appears as a very bright ring, or , surrounding the dark disk of the moon.
- Additionally, real solar eclipses only occur on new moons. In Terraria, the event can occur on any phase of the moon.
- Real-life solar eclipses usually only last for about seven minutes, while the one in the game can last for an entire 15 in-game hours.
- When loading a world with a Solar Eclipse in progress, the sun that rises and sets on the loading screen is also in its eclipsed state. Leaving a world while a solar eclipse is happening will have the same effect.
- Originally, another enemy was planned for the Solar Eclipse, named the Severed Hand: . It was never added to the game, for unknown reasons. Despite this, there is still an unobtainable Severed Hand Banner.
- 电脑版 22.214.171.124：自然发生日食的几率降低至 1/20。
- 电脑版 126.96.36.199：
- 电脑版 1.2：引入。
- 主机版 1.02：引入。
- 移动版 1.2.6508：引入。