- The Vilethorn is rather 魔力-efficient for its damage potential.
- Because it needs to hit multiple times in order to reach its full damage potential, the Vilethorn is susceptible to enemies with high defense, as the damage reduction is applied to each hit rather than the total amount. This weapon scales very poorly in 困難模式 as a result. It shares this trait with other low-damage but high-firing rate weapons, such as the 迷你鯊.
- The Vilethorn is the counterpart to the 猩紅's 猩紅魔杖, as the Crimson is the magic weapon drop from Crimson Hearts and also pierces infinitely many enemies.
- The 爆裂藤蔓 and 魔晶碎塊 operate similarly to the Vilethorn, and can be considered its Hardmode upgrades. The 魔晶碎塊 is dropped from 神聖寶箱怪s and 爆裂藤蔓 is only obtainable by defeating 世紀之花, a late-Hardmode Boss. The 彩虹槍, a similar post-Plantera weapon, produces the Vilethorn's freezing effect but does not travel through blocks.
- The most useful trait of the Vilethorn is its ability to fire through solid 物塊 and pierce all enemies caught in it. Exploiting this, whenever a threat is encountered, the player can quickly set up a sealed bunker made of solid blocks and attack enemies with impunity from within.
- Of course, this only works for enemies and enemies' attacks that do not pass through blocks. Trying this strategy against the 世界吞噬怪 (or any boss for that matter) is plain foolish as you are just immobilizing yourself.
- This makes it effective against 血月s, the 哥布林軍隊 and any situation with swarming enemies. However, the Goblin Army's 哥布林巫士s may still be a pain as their ranged attacks pass through solid blocks.
- This trait also makes the Vilethorn useful against 蠕蟲-type enemies who, ironically, are meant to stop players from simply walling themselves in. Bosses with multiple parts, such as 克蘇魯之腦's first stage, are also vulnerable.
- Because enemies that are vulnerable to knockback are essentially stopped in their tracks, and the Vilethorn has a duration just barely long enough for a player to recover all their mana and fire again before the effect ends, a player can essentially just lay down a constant thorn that paralyzes any enemy that passes nearby.
- Caster-type enemies such as the 火焰小鬼, 暗黑法師 and 蒂姆 cease attacking once they take any damage, and will not resume attacking for a while after. The Vilethorn can be useful for reaching these enemies so as to stop their assault.
- Until the release of 1.2, this weapon was unique in its behavior. The 爆裂藤蔓 is a Hardmode version, being a little over twice as powerful. Other weapons were also introduced that allow attacking through blocks while hiding from enemies, e.g. 死神鐮刀, 蘑菇長矛, and 葉綠钂.
- Damage increased from 8 to 10.
- Mana cost reduced from 12 to 10.
- Use time decreased from 29 to 27.